Skip to content

Today in Kingston junior hockey playoff history

April 22, 2013

Kingston CanadiansToday’s installment in a daily feature that looks back at this date in Kingston junior hockey playoff history.

Thursday, April 22, 1993

David Ling’s second goal of the game, on a breakaway at 17:28 of the third period, clinched a 6-3 Kingston win over the Peterborough Petes, the first playoff victory by a Kingston team in Peterborough in club’s 20-year history.

The Frontenacs got outstanding goaltending from Tyler Moss as they cut Peterborough’s lead in the best-of-seven Leyden division championship series to 2-1.

The 17-year-old Moss was getting his first start for the Frontenacs, after Marc Lamothe played 13 straight games. Kingston led 3-2 after the first period and 5-3 after the second, though they were outshot 37-31.

The Frontenacs weathered an early storm, finding themselves shorthanded three times in the first eight minutes of the game. After scoring five power-play goals in Game 2 of the series, the Petes were this time denied each time and Cory Johnson scored the game’s first goal for Kingston, on the Frontenacs’ first shot on the Peterborough goal, at 11:57. Greg Clancy scored on a power play four minutes later for a 2-0 lead.

The period ended with a flourish, as the teams traded two goals in the final 19 seconds, with Steve Parson giving Kingston a 3-1 lead before Chris Pronger scored for Peterborough with just one second to play.

Chris Gratton also scored for Kingston. Mike Harding scored the other two Peterborough goals.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: