Skip to content

Gaels suffer first regulation-time loss; RMC gains first victory of the season

January 11, 2014

Queen’s Golden Gaels suffered their first regulation-time defeat Friday night, 4-1 at the hands of the Carleton Ravens in an Ontario University Athletics men’s hockey game at the Memorial Centre.

The Gaels, 12-0-5 going into the game and the seventh-ranked team in Canada, surrendered the only goal of the first period and they trailed 3-1 going into the third, a period where they were outshot 19-11.

No. 9-ranked Carleton, 12-5-1, got a goal and an assist from Corey Durocher, the former Kingston Frontenac who was a 2010 National Hockey League draftee of the Florida Panthers.

Despite the loss, the Gaels remain in first place in the East division standings, two points ahead of the McGill Redmen, 6-2 winners Friday night over the Ottawa Gee-Gees. The Redmen, the fifth-ranked team in Canada, will visit the Memorial Centre for a game Saturday night that will start at 7:30 p.m.

Damian Cross scored the only goal of the first period for Carleton, and Durocher scored his fifth of the season in the fifth minute of the second. Less than a minute later Stephane Chabot lifted the Gaels within one goal of the lead with his first goal of the year, unassisted off a turnover, but rookie defenceman Jake Cardwell restored the Ravens’ two-goal cushion before the period was half over.

Mitch Poworski clinched the victory with a power-play goal with a little more than two minutes remaining in the third period.

The game was uncharacteristic for the Gaels in a couple of aspects: They were badly outshot — 44-28 — and they were blanked — 0-for-5 — on the power play.

Francis Dupuis, 7-1 this year with a 1.61 goals-against average — second best in Canada among goalies who have played eight games or more — got the goaltending win for Carleton, which won its third game in a row and the sixth in its last seven games.

The loss ended a Queen’s winning streak at six games.

• • •

As if to maintain the cosmic balance in the hockey universe, on the night when the Gaels would suffer their first regulation-time defeat of the season, across the river at Constantine Arena the Royal Military College Paladins were gaining their first win of the season, 4-2 over the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks.

Two goals by Brett Pinder, his third and fourth of the season, in the final six minutes of the second period sent RMC into the third with a 4-1 lead. Goaltender Evan Deviller made 15 saves in the third period, when the Paladins were outshot 16-2, to make that stand up for the win.

On the night, RMC was outshot 52-25.

The visitors didn’t make things easy for themselves, as RMC had to kill a pair of penalties in the final eight minutes of the game. A goal by Nate Mitton with two minutes to play lifted Tech to within two goals but that was as close as the Ridgebacks would get.

Mathieu Lavallee scored the first two goals for RMC, both unassisted. Lavallee, a rookie from Ste-Catharine, Que., hadn’t scored and had just one assist in nine games since a three-point performance Oct. 25 at Concordia.

Chris Smerek had two assists for the Paladins, who tonight will play Carleton in Ottawa.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: