Skip to content

Queen’s women fail to gain ground on league leaders

September 29, 2014

Jessie de Boer scored two goals in the first 10 minutes of the game to lead the Queen’s Golden Gaels to a 4-0 win over the Trent Excalibur in an Ontario University Athletics women’s soccer game Sunday afternoon at Miklas-McCarney Field.

Her first goal came on a hard shot to the top left corner, the second completed a give-and-go with Tara Bartram.

Queen’s led 3-0 by the time the game was 20 minutes old and scored the game’s final goal in the 88th minute.

Matija Skoko and Savannah Meyer-Clement scored the other Queen’s goals. For each, it was the first goal of the season. Madison Tyrell and Michaila Frawley each made two saves as they shared the shutout.

The victory allowed the Gaels, 5-2-2, to end the weekend undefeated, after they gained a 1-1 draw with the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks Saturday in Oshawa, where a goal by de Boer opened scoring in the 19th minute. Tech, the last undefeated team in Ontario, replied just five minutes later and the game was scoreless after that.

Queen’s begins play this week tied for third place with Carleton, 10 points behind East division-leading Ottawa and six behind Ontario Tech. The Gaels will resume play Wednesday, against the Ravens in Ottawa.

In men’s play Sunday, a desperate flurry of activity around the opponent’s goal in the final minute of play couldn’t produce the tie-breaking goal as Queen’s settled for a 1-1 tie with Trent.

After Trent goalkeeper David Ellis mishandled the ball at the top of the 18-yard box, Gaels captain Chris Michael had a clear shot at the visitors’ goal but he sailed his shot over the net.

The tie gave Trent, 1-7-2, just its fifth point of the season.

It took just three minutes for Queen’s to draw first blood, as Tanko Bacelic opened the scoring. Trent tied the game in the 33rd minute.

Kingston Collegiate grad Taylor Reynolds made five saves in the Queen’s goal, while Ellis stopped nine shots for Trent.

On Saturday in Oshawa, a goal by Eric Koskins in the game’s 82nd minute allowed the Gaels to leave town with a 1-1 tie with Ontario Tech. The goal came just seven minutes after the Ridgebacks scored the game’s first goal, and it allowed the visitors to collect a point from a game where it outshot its opponent 12-3 in the second half.

It was a disappointing weekend for the Gaels, who failed to gain a victory against two teams that began the weekend with just two wins between them.

Royal Military College Paladins, meanwhile, won both of their games on the weekend, 1-0 over Trent Saturday and 2-1 over Tech on Sunday, to improve to 3-7.

The Queen’s men, 5-2-3, also resume play against Carleton Wednesday in Ottawa.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: