Skip to content

Queen’s men, women both advance in soccer playoffs

October 23, 2014

Both the men’s and women’s soccer teams from Queen’s advanced in Ontario University Athletics playoffs Wednesday, and they both needed extra time to do so.

The Gaels bested the Carleton Ravens in a shootout to post a 1-0 win in the women’s East division quarter-final. Queen’s got an overtime goal from Chris Wellsman to edge the Nipissing Lakers 2-1 in the men’s contest.

Both games were played at Miklas-McCarney Field.

The women will advance to play No. 1-ranked Ottawa in a division semifinal Sunday in Ottawa. The Gee-Gees, 15-1, won the last 15 games of their regular schedule, including a 3-0 victory over Queen’s a week ago.

The men, 9-2-5 in the regular year—with an eight-game unbeaten streak to end the schedule—will travel to Toronto to face the Varsity Blues for their East semifinal match, also Sunday, in Toronto. The Blues, 11-3-2, finished three points ahead of Queen’s, and gained a 2-1 win—the Gaels’ last defeat—and a scoreless draw in regular-season play.

Though leading scorers Jessie de Boer and Jackie Tessier were back in the Queen’s lineup, the women’s game was scoreless through overtime. The Gaels prevailed 4-2 in penalty kicks, an aspect that coach Dave McDowell abhors but one to which he’s had to become accustomed. Wednesday’s game was the Gaels’ fifth playoff game in a row that has been decided by penalty kicks.

Since 2011, Queen’s has gone to penalty kicks in 10 of its 15 playoff matches, winning seven of them.

The Gaels got goals on all four of their attempts. Queen’s led 3-2 after three rounds, with goals coming from Laura Callender, Melissa Jung and Brittany Almeida.

By that point, one Carleton shooter had sent her shot over the crossbar, and Gaels goalkeeper Madison Tyrell made a sparkling diving stop on the fourth Ravens’ attempt. Tara Bartram then scored on Queen’s fourth shot to secure the victory.

Tyrell, who got her fingertips on a Carleton shot in the final minute of the second overtime half, deflecting the ball over the net, got the best of Ravens keeper Elizabeth MacDougall, who was also perfect in the first 110 minutes of play.

In the men’s game, the visitors opened scoring just nine minutes into the game on a goal by Brandon TeBrake but Kingston’s Andrew Martin sent a shot into the top right corner of the net for Queen’s in the 23rd minute to tie the score.

The game stayed that way to the end of regulation time, thanks in no small part to a breakaway save Queen’s keeper Maxfield Materne made on Nipissing’s Ryan Mantle in the final minute of play.

In overtime, Wellsman, a midfielder who came off the bench, put a shot from about 30 yards out into the top corner, turning what looked like a harmless play into what proved to be the winning goal, in the game’s 105th minute.

It was just Wellsman’s fifth game of the year, and only his third goal. He scored twice in the regular-season finale Sunday against Royal Military College.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: